OptiMate 4 Dual Program 12V Battery Charger
OptiMate has been proven to save neglected, deep discharged batteries other smart chargers can’t.
OptiMate has been proven to extend battery life. OptiMate will safely maintain the battery at 100%, never overcharging.
How it works
- Switch between STANDARD or CAN-BUS program with a simple 5 step procedure: connect clamps together, connect to mains, wait for the LED’s to confirm program change, disconnect clamps. LED indication confirms the CAN-BUS program is active. Once selected, the chosen program is saved as the default mode for next use, but you can switch programs as many times as you want.
- Safety check: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM will proceed to charge if the battery voltage can maintain above 2V during the initial start up diagnosis, even if the battery was at 0.5V before connection.
- Functionality: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM microprocessor checks the system for correct operation (LEDs flash briefly to confirm).
- Pre-qualification test: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM indicates the battery condition prior to charging.
- Desulphation and recovery: STANDARD (up to 16V) engages automatically to recover neglected, flat batteries from a sulphated to a chargeable state. For badly neglected batteries the TURBO stage (max 22V) engages if vehicle electronics are not detected or the battery is out of the vehicle. The turbo stage is disabled in CAN-bus mode. The safe low voltage PULSE recovery engages for the final 15 minutes.
- Bulk charge: a constant current of 0.8A is delivered until the voltage reaches 14.3V.
- Absorption and equalisation: Current is delivered in pulses to bring the battery to full charge in the shortest possible time.
- Charge verification and short circuit / dead cell check: Charge acceptance is monitored, to detect internal damage and prevent unnecessary charging of an unrecoverable battery that cannot be recovered. An undamaged battery requiring further charging will revert to pulsed absorption.
- Voltage retention test: is conducted for 30 minutes during which no charge current is delivered, with 5 possible test results indicating the battery's general state of health. The pre-qualification test can be used to detect batteries that may hold a charge initially, but lose charge overnight.
- Charge maintenance: a voltage of 13.6V is delivered for 30 minutes following each voltage retention test, with sufficient current to sustain it against natural self-discharge or drain from permanently active vehicle components or connected accessories (alarm, immobiliser). The voltage retention test and charge maintenance periods continue alternating half-hourly until the battery is disconnected. The test result is updated during each subsequent test.
- CAN-bus program: the KEYLESS activation program guarantees automatic re-opening of the connection even with the ignition not turned on.
The alternating test and charge maintenance program is designed to provide the recommend maintenance voltage for AGM / GEL batteries whilst reducing the average voltage as required by STD filler cap batteries, making it ideal for indefinite and 100% safe long term maintenance charging of any type of 12V lead-acid battery.